- 1 pound cubed smoked ham
- 1/2 pound very hot New Orleans style sausage, cut into 1/2 inch
- 1/2 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 3 cups uncooked rice
- 1/2 cup green peppers, chopped
- 1/4 cup scallions, chopped
- 4 cups boiled water
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
In 3 quart saucepan, combine ham, sausages and onions over medium heat. Saute 8 minutesor until onion is soft. Stir in rice, green pepper, scallions,the boiling water, parsley, garlic, salt, thyme, paprika and bay leaf. Mix well.
Boil 5 minutes. Over low heat, cook jambalaya covered, 20 to 25 minutes or until rice is tender, adding shrimp the last 8 minutes.
With large fork, fluff rice and evenly distribute ingredients.
Note: Use chaurice, churizo, or andouille sausage, available at Spanish and specialty stores.